22 September 2011

Chicken Salad..it's for the ants.

A couple of Sunday's ago, hubby and I decided to have a picnic after church.  As you know, I love picnics.  I decided to make this DELICIOUS looking chicken salad I saw on Pinterest the other day.




And it was delicious..

Except for one thing.

I had just gone to the store to get all the ingredients, and I already had several at home.  I got out what I had: almonds (I used these instead of pecans) chicken, spices..etc.

So then I made the chicken salad and the whole time I was snacking on the bag of almonds while I was making it.

I taste tested it, and it was delicous!  I loved it.  So I put it in the refridgerator and proceeded to clean up.

And then I saw it.

The bag of almonds I had purchased earlier that week was infested with ANTS.

TONS of ants. ALL in the bag.

I had been eating ANTS the whole time.  AND I made the chicken salad with them.

Great.

So I contemplated telling hubby or not.  I mean, if I ate them and didn't taste anything different, then he would never know, right?


HAHA!  Well, I did tell him and he refused to eat it so I just made another batch.

I was disgusted when I thought about the fact that I had eaten a handful of ants..but now I just think it's funny.

The not-so-funny part was cleaning out my pantry.  I hate bugs, especially when they invade my home!  Thankfully, they are long gone and I hope to never have this encounter again.

But, here's the recipe!  (WITHOUT ANTS!)

Chicken Salad

Juicy rotisserie chicken, tart apples, crunchy nuts, and celery all pulled together with homemade mayonnaise.

Ingredients

  • For the mayo
  • 2 large eggs*
  • 1 large egg yolk*
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp white (or black) pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • For the chicken salad
  • 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
  • 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, minced
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 – 3/4 cup homemade mayo
  • Salt
  • Black pepper

Instructions

*Use pasteurized eggs if you’ll be serving children, pregnant women, or anyone else who might be immuno-compromised.
  1. Make the mayo: Blend eggs, yolk, salt, pepper, mustard, and lemon juice in a blender. Stream in the oils and blend on high until thickened. Extra mayo can be stored in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
  2. Toast the almonds: Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast 7-9 minutes. Let cool.
  3. Make the chicken salad: In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, apple, celery, onions, and parsley, and just enough mayo to bind the chicken salad. Salt and pepper to taste. If serving, add the almonds. If making ahead of time, wait to add the almonds until just before assembling the sandwiches.
Recipe taken from here.
 
It sure was yummy- the 2nd batch, that is.
 
Do any of y'all have good stories like that one?  I'm sure I wont be forgetting "the time I ate ants" anytime soon!
 
One more thing:  It's almost the weekend! YIPEEE!!!!
 
One of my to-do's for the weekend is to update my pages on the top of my blog.  MY DIY page is a little outdated..
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment