16 January 2011

My bestie's gettin' hitched!

Well guys, the shower was a success! I was so relieved because it felt like there were 102934 things to do and  I was nervous that I wouldn't get everything done, but I did! :)  I loved the way it turned out and Molly said she has a wonderful time. 

First off, I want y'all to see the beautiful tulips the hubby brought home the other day!



Aren't they pretty?  I love the middle of them.  Just gorgeous! He also had Godiva chocolate to go along with it.  Yes, please!

Now, it's time for a YUMMMY recipe!  Have you heard of cake balls???  I made them for the first time about four years ago, and just made them again yesterday!  They are divine.  The only bad thing is you'll want to eat them all in five minutes...but just do a few laps around the living room afterwards!


Cake Balls
(I got the recipe from here.)

1 box of cake mix. Any kind you like. I used funfetti cake mix and red velvet is also WONDERFUL.
1 can cream cheese icing (16oz)
1 package chocolate bark (white or chocolate)
Wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)

I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot.

There's the end result.  If you want to make them really circle-y and beautiful, you'll have to take your time. I was rushed so that's why they are slightly disheveled looking. ;)
I also made my own dessert/cake stands. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and with the shower approaching I decided now was the time to do it!  


In case you're wondering about the twigs/branches in the vase, I hung little plastic hearts (from the dollar spot at Target) with fishing line from them and so it turned into a love tree..or whatever you wanna call it. :)

First thing you'll need is a candlestick! I got the glass one for .99 cents at Goodwill and the wooden one (that I painted white) was .50 cents. 



Goodwill also has plates that you can get for like one dollar too, but everytime i've been, there hasn't been any I liked.  So, I got the two pictured above at HomeGoods.  (The white one was $2.99 and the pink was $3.99)
Get your gorilla glue and put a thin layer on the top of the candle stick. It doesn't take a whole lot, because the glue expands when it dries.

Stick the candlesticks to the bottom of the plate and let it sit for an hour or so.

  And there you have it! Beautiful, inexpensive platters to make your food display extra sweet!
(get it?? extra sweet?? hehehe)


So here are a few more details from the shower:


I made the cookies from my favorite cookie book called Cookie Craft. It is the best book to learn about about cookies, icing, how to decorate them..etc.  In case you were wondering and didn't make conclusions yourself, the 4-10-11 is her wedding date. :) Her colors for the wedding are black and white so that's why I did them like that.

 Haha, I bet you're thinking.."what in the world!" but let me explain.  It was a lingerie shower, and so I thought the cake should match the theme! I won't take credit for the original idea because I found it under google images...I'm not sure who thought it up, but I am glad they did!



 More yummy cookies!
The beautiful bride with her cake!   We had a great time playing bridal scattergories and other silly games!



Another thing that I did for her shower was make tissue pom poms.  Martha Stewart (aka my best bud) has them on her website here. They are so easy to make and look so pretty and fluffy!


I can't wait until Molly's wedding. It's  going to be so fun! I need to start exercising more because I gotta look sexy as her matron of honor in my LBD! (Little Black Dress) haha!

Right now I'm watching the Golden Globe Awards. I hope Modern Family wins something because I love that show!! Hope you're having a great evening!

1 comment: