18 August 2014

A letter to my son.


Dear Winslow,

One year ago today, your father and I received the most precious gift, one that has made us whole.  If I'm being completely honest, I was VERY pregnant and VERY ready to meet you.  You were a week and a half overdue, and boy was I anxious.  You arrived on your own time, but it was perfect. Just one day before your Uncle Grant's birthday.



I remember so vividly the very first time our eyes met.  It was true love.  So many emotions were running through my veins.  Happiness, exhaustion, excitement, confusion (like, now what?), and joy.  I remember the way you looked up at me with those eyes.  It was like you had been waiting for me to touch your soft baby skin.  When I did, you fell right asleep on my chest.  No crying, no whimpering.  It was magical.  I remember looking at your daddy and seeing a grin the size of Texas on his face.  He could not believe he had a son.  All I could say to you was "I love you, baby. I love you".  And I said a prayer of thankfulness to the Lord for your safety and your beautiful little body.






I thought you were going to be 9 or 10 pounds because you were so late, but you were 1 ounce over 8 pounds. Thank you, little one, for not being gigantic.  You had the LONGEST little fingers and toes and I laughed when daddy said "He has five fingers!" and I said back to him, "Only five?!?!"  It made us laugh.  I think your daddy was so nervous to see you in real life.  He sang to you and talked about our days when you were in my belly and now that you were here, he was just a little edgy because you were so fragile and tiny.     Your daddy and I just kept looking at you and saying to each other "He really is perfect. He is so perfect."

And we still say that to each other most nights before bed.



You inherited my eyes and most people that see you comment on how blue and beautiful they are. You have your daddy's stature and laidbackness (and I'm thankful for that).  He doesn't get in a hurry for anything and me, well...I sometimes consider myself "high strung".   I hope you'll keep that laid back trait because I sometimes worry too much...but that's what mom's do.  It's in our job description.

The way you learn so quickly and take everything in around you amazes me.  Just the other day, you saw a photo of yourself, crawled up to it, and kissed it.  It was the most precious thing in the world.  Your kisses are the best.  Especially in the morning after you've been up 2-3 times at night and I'm real sleepy.  You'll plant a big, slobbery, open mouthed kissed right on me, and it melts me.



You are almost walking, taking a couple steps here and there, but momma's not ready for that just yet.  I try to push you down when I can so that you won't ever grow up.  Do you believe me? 

This year has absolutely flown by.  You have made this year one of the best of my life and I am so thankful to the Lord for entrusting your daddy and I to be your parents.  We love you more than you could ever know and one day, when you have children,  you'll begin to understand just how much that is.

Happy First Birthday, my little monkey.

I love you to the moon and back.


2 comments:

  1. Very happy birthday Winslow!

    Although sometimes we should say something for the Momma's too - Happy 1st Baby-iversary Kait!

    Heather x
    www.theduncanadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete