12 January 2017

Goals


So I know EVERYONE always says this but I'm going to just join the crowd:

I don't really make resolutions.

They never work for me really.  It'll be February and they'll be out the window by then, so I don't even get my hopes up that I will stick with them.

BUT! I do like to make small goals for myself and the new year is a great reason to think extra hard about them.  So that's what I did.  And I'm writing them down in hopes that once I meet that goal, I can check them off and pat myself on the back.

1. Read.  period.  I used to be such an avid reader. (before I had these little tiny humans) and I am really hoping I can get back in the swing of things.  I feel that I'm just a happier/ more relaxed person when I am actively reading and I also gain knowledge in the process. I have several books on my list and while I'm not going to say "I want to read ______ books this year", I will say my goal is AT least one a month.  Right now I am reading"The Invention of Wings" and it is GREAT.  I love reading about the 1800's and slavery so this one is the perfect book to kickstart my goal.  A few more on my list are:

- Open by Andre Agassi
- Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
- Present over Perfect by Shauna Neiquist
-Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
-The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O'Brien
-Grace not Perfection by Emily Ley
-The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Are there any that you've read that need to be on my list?

2. Be less RUSHED. For some reason, I've always struggled with being in a HURRY.  I am always in a hurry to get to preschool, to church, home for naps, here for this or that and I just want to slow down. Yes, it's important to be on time, but I need to make steps to make my life easier so I won't always feel like I am running here and there.  Especially on the weekends, we will just be at home and it'll be 9:30 AM and I'll already be thinking "I need to hurry and get Hogan down for his nap!" or "oh man! I need to hurry and think about lunch."  And really, it's not that big of a deal.  So basically, I need to tell myself to take a chill pill more.

3.  Time for myself.  This one is hard.  Seth does a WONDERFUL job of letting me go to Target by myself (hello, this is a dream!)  and even on the weekend, I occasionally get to sneak off to Starbucks, but I want this to become a regular occurance.  Even if that means hiring a sitter for a couple hours to just retreat and relax.  I need that time to refuel and reset my nice mommy radar. ;)

4.  Less phone time.  It's just the world we live in, but is it REALLY? Yes and no.  My personal goal is to quit aimlessly scrolling through instagram/facebook/snapchat when I'm with my kids. I've thought about deleting the app during the day and reinstalling it in the evening.  I don't know, it just seems to always be there when I have a moment of free time, and I don't like it.  Sometimes I feel enslaved to it.  Crazy, but true.  I want to be PRESENT for my boys and never want them to say "mommy, put your phone down and play" or something along those lines.  They thankfully haven't said that yet, but it's coming if I don't make it more intentional to not get on it.  My boys are my #1 prority, not that cute dress that is on sale for $20 that Sally Mae is wearing in the snow.  (where did I even come up with that?"

5. Cleaner house.  Because why not?

6. Successful business- I'm drafting up a post now that's all about my new shop, Green Door Goods, so I'm not going to go into too much detail now, but I am hoping that I can bless others with my creative gifts and in return, help save up for my newest "want": A MINIVAN.  YES, I am totally hoping to be that MINIVAN MOM. No shame.


So...cheers to new goals and just because I can't leave y'all without a cute photo of my boys..here you go.

(If you look really close at Winslow's nose...he fell face first on the concrete the day before this was taken. Way to go, bud!)

1 comment:

  1. Everyone has some goals in their lives and this is something good to have and I like your potential of doing something great. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete