06 September 2013

2 Week Checkup!







Little W had his 2 week checkup this morning!  He will technically be three weeks on Sunday, but today was the only opening that his doctor had, so we waited a few days so we could see her.

Since I became a mom, I have obtained a whole new level of "worry".  And by that I mean, I want the very very best for my child.  I want him to be eating enough, getting enough cuddles/love, and all that good stuff.  It's so easy to compare your child to others and say "Oh no, he's not eating that often!" or "Maybe I need to feed him less!"  or "My child doesn't sleep that long" or "5 hours of sleep in a row?  Why isn't my child doing that?"  I've learned REALLY quick that comparing yourself or your child to others does no good.

Do what is best for you and your little one.  I've really embraced that these past three weeks.  So what if he doesn't sleep 5 hours at night?  I am overjoyed that he sleeps 4 hours and even if it's 2-3, I am glad to get up with him to nurse.  I love those times.  When the house is quiet.  Nothing is stirring and it's just me and W.  It's so peaceful.

ANYWAY, I am trying my best to never compare him to others or to not go "by the books" so much. I am listening to my instincts and his cues in order to give him the best care and love.

Our little man is growing great! He weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce when he was born and when we got discharged he weighed 7 lbs 7oz.  Of course, I was worried sick that he was going to keep losing weight while my milk came in and we were still figuring out the whole breastfeeding thing, but at his appointment the next day (Wednesday) he had not lost any.  He hadn't gained any either. He was still 7 lbs 7 oz.  The doctor just told me it was really nothing to worry about, that babies usually gain their birth weight back by their two week appointment.

I was determined to do what it takes to make sure he is eating great and growing..so I prayed and researched ways to make breastfeeding easier and sure enough, it's getting easier.

But y'all.  Breastfeeding is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. But that's a story for another day.  :)

It's still no walk in the park just yet, but he is eating great.

Baby boy has put on over TWO pounds since his appointment two weeks ago!  He now weighs 9 pounds 8.5 ounces.

I am one proud momma.

Here are his stats:

Weight: 9 lbs 8.5 oz  (69%)
Height: 22 1/4 inches (97%)  We might have a pro basketball player on our hands, says hubby! ;)
Head circumference: 40 cm (over 99%)

 My dad's side of the family has BIG heads, so this was no surprise! This is coming from the family who had to have their football helmets special made because they had such large heads! haha!  That just means there is more room for his growing brain, right?


Everything looked great at his appointment and we go back in a couple weeks for his 1 month exam.  I think I will have a chunky monkey on my hands before too long!



 A boy and his dog.  I can't wait to watch him grow up to love this Golden Girl.  She already loves him!

My whole world.  I love my boys.




2 comments:

  1. All these pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little guy! He has your mouth too!
    All the best, Heather x

    ReplyDelete