09 April 2013

Installing a beadboard backsplash.

When we moved into our home in September, a kitchen backsplash was on my long list of DIY projects.  After I got over the horrible morning sickness around 15 weeks, I've been dying to install a backsplash in our kitchen.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to do tile, beadboard or something else.  We finally decided to do beadboard and I am VERY happy with the result.  It only took a couple hours to install it (we don't have a huge area that needed done) and I love it!

I'll explain a little about what we did and hopefully you'll get the encouragement to just do it if you're on the fence about installing beadboard.

We purchased one panel of beadboard from Lowe's for around 19 dollars.  You can find it here.  That's all we needed!  Just one panel.

We of course measured and measured and then cut out the pieces that we needed with a jigsaw.  It's very easy to cut. We just glued it to the wall with liquid nails and let me tel you, that sucker is not going anywhere!  We caulked around the edges, and then I painted over it with a fresh coat of white paint.  It's really that easy!  I was going to trim out the edges, but couldn't find any trim that fit just right, so I just caulked it before I painted, and I think it looks great.

This is what our kitchen looked like when we moved in:


After a little decorating, and some paint, this is what it looked like a month after we moved in:



It's doesn't look like a HUGE change in the photos, but in person it looks so much brighter and open.  Plus it matches the island/bar bead board that was already in the house when we moved.


















Yep, I love it.  And all for around $30...i'll take it! (Beadboard was $20, paint and glue was probably around ten, although I already had both here at home)

Onto the next project! Honey, are you ready?!?


Xoxo,

Kait

1 comment: