11 September 2011

A $5 fix.

I bought a chandelier from Habitat Restore a LONG time ago..well like three months ago and it's been sitting in my closet for about that long.  I knew I wanted to paint it and hang it in the dining room, but didn't know what color or what kind of look I wanted to portray.

When my mom and stepdad came to visit she suggested I paint it yellow...I liked that idea, so I went to town!

Wanna know the best part?

I was $5.  FIVE.

I knew I could do something beautiful with it, so that's why I bought it.  And i'm always looking for ways to personalize our rental home since we're going to be here a while.  Changing a light fixture is an easy way to do that, and it is an easy process.

 Here is the light fixture before.  Not TOO bad, but just dated and old.  And I'm not THAT into brass these days.






And here is the chandelier before.  (I actually forgot to take an actual BEFORE photo, but I got this from google images and it's the exact same style.)



















Ready for the reveal?







Here's how I did it:
1. Wash the chandelier with a towel and water.  Just to get the dirt off.

2. Hang from a tree and spraypaint evenly.  I did like a million coats just to make sure it was coated thoroughly.
3. On my goodwill escapade the other day, I found FIVE chandy lampshades for $1 each.  That is an AWESOME price considering the ones at Target ar $18 A PIECE!  

But my chandelier has SIX lights.  and there were only FIVE shades.  UGH I could have cried.

Until I saw one more shade underneath a big bowl.  It wasn't the exact same shape as the other ones but I got it anyway and prayed that it would not look to different once I recovered them and got them up there.

 And I don't think they do...

I mean I saved like $75 and I don't even notice that it's a different shape unless I look real hard.

I am proud.  :)

ANYWAY,  I covered the once black lampshades with Burlap and TA DA!  

My brand new (to me) chandelier that I love.  


So, whatcha think?  

The total cost for this project was $11.  5 for the chandelier, 6 for the shades, and I already had the spray paint and burlap from previous projects.  Want to know the color of the spraypaint?  It's Krylon Banana, I believe.  The finish is glossy.  

Have a happy and relaxing Sunday!

Linking up here!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I love the simple changes you made for a BIG transformation! I actually just bought a chandelier from my local habitat store and am going to glam it up for my little girl's nursery! :-) PS I LOVE your kitchen chairs, they are SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I love the yellow with the burlap. I am into anything burlap these days. I love the change you made.. and what a deal!

    ReplyDelete