20 October 2010

Patience, Kindness, and Love.

We have a sickly husband in the Jones household.  Poor Seth woke up this morning feeling horrible and he talked like he had ten frogs and lizards in his throat. (The lizard part doesn't make much sense, but oh well).  He stayed home and got some much needed rest.  With him working so hard lately I am glad for a day off...even if he was feeling under the weather.  That photo is of him watching the Yankees/Rangers game today..he pulled the chair right in front of the TV. haha, how cute.

Tomorrow morning I am watching Jill's cute kiddos. I absolutely love them to death.  I really do consider them my own, even though they both have blonde hair..it's okay.  :)

I will be glad for next year when wedding season starts up.  Our first wedding is the end of February, and then we are super busy after that. I am so excited to really get into it. I will be gone for several weekends, but with most of the weddings being in the Charlotte area, it won't be that bad.  I can't wait though.  It's going to be fabulous!

We find out Seth's LSAT score in 12 days! Ahh.. i am really hoping and praying that it will be a desirable one.  I never really realized how much weight one test has.  I mean, I took the GRE and thought it was a big deal (which it is) but the LSAT is scarier to me for some reason.  I guess because graduate school and law school are completely different. I hear Law School is absolute HELL the first year...but i am confident my Seth can do well. He is such a driven man.  His ambitions and dreams for his life are grand, and i am so excited that I am in the middle of them! I mean, after all, I will be having his children one days..hehe

So, lately I have been feeling very convicted by the Lord.  I feel that I've been so caught up in my own little world that I have failed to thank him enough and remember that HE is the reason I am where I am.  I also fail to realize that every choice I make reflects Him. Even if it's in my own home where no one can see or hear...or even if Seth is the only one that sees me act a certain way.  It still reflects the Lord.  Sometimes I am mean or rude to Seth and i don't even think about the fact that my actions don't portray the grace and love of Christ. Let me share a verse that has been on my mind:

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, i have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If i have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if i have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, i am nothing.  And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing." -1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Man, that can make you think.  Now, it's easy to assume that we have love for our spouse, a close friend, or your family in our hearts,  But SHOWING that love is just as important.  Think about the sounds of a noisy gong or clanging cymbal...not pleasant, right?  To think that I am sometimes just like that when I don't show or have love for someone else, It sickens me, really.  I think the point of this, to me, is that I need to be more aware of my actions, thoughts, feelings, etc.  Even thinking badly about someone is not showing love. And believe me, i do that way too often.

This brings me to another verse:  "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."  -Ephesians 4:2.  This verse goes hand in hand with the previous one.

One of our wedding gifts was a book called "The Love Dare". I'm sure many of you have heard of it, or maybe not, but we haven't read it yet.  I started reading it this afternoon and really enjoyed the first couple of pages. I found a lot of truth in it.

This is taken from the first page:

"Love works.  It is life's most powerful motivator and has far greater depth and meaning than most people realize.  It always does what is best for others and can empower us to face the greatest of problems. We are born with a lifelong thirst for love.  Our hearts desperately need it like our lungs need oxygen.

Love is built on two pillars that best define what it is.  Those pillars are patience and kindness.  All other characteristics of love are extensions of these two attributes. Love will inspire you to be a patient person.  When you choose to be patient, you respond in a positive way to a negative situation.  You are slow to anger. You choose to have a long fuse instead of a quick temper.  Rather than being restless and demanding, love helps you settle down and begin extending mercy to those around you.  Patience brings and internal calm during an external storm.

No one likes being around an impatient person.  It cause you to overreact in angry, foolish, and regrettable ways.  The irony of anger toward a wrongful action is that it spawns new wrongs of its own Anger almost never makes things better. In fact, it usually generates additional problems.  But PATIENCE stops problems in their tracks."

Man, those couple of paragraphs really stuck with me.  I am realizing that i am not that patient with Seth sometimes.  I need to be so much more.  Sometimes i get in the selfish "I WANT THIS NOW" mentality and man, it's not pretty!

that is what i'm working on this week.  Showing Seth how much I love him by being patient.  It's so refreshing to hear the word of God.  And boy, and I glad for the Lord's guidance.  He is slowly molding me into who He wants me to be.  Even though I mess up a lot, I am so grateful that He forgives me and shows me grace. I really want to show patience and kindness this week, not only to Seth, but to everyone.  To the person who pulls out in front of me, to the person in the grocery store who gets the last can of pumpkin, to the person who is rude to me in the check out line...I want to show them that I know a God who is overflowing with patience and kindness.


I am so excited to continue reading this book! I'm also on the lookout for Dave Ramsey's book about how to spend money wisely..my sweet mommy-to-be cousin, Halley recommended I read it. Hopfully the public library has it!

I'm off to bed! Tomorrow I will post my CVS trip and a few pics of my sweet pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment