19 October 2010

PUMKIN STREUSEL MUFFINS WITH BROWN SUGAR CINNAMON FILLING!!!

DISCLAIMER:  To go along with these heavenly muffins, I have a story.  I was searching the wonderful recipe books and came across many pumpkin muffins that I thought sounded really yummy. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to find a healthy recipe so when I eat them all, I won't feel bad about it.  So I cooked the first batch of muffins that were healthy (only like 150 calories and 3 WW points) and tasted them...eh, I give em a 4 out of 10. They are decent, but I wasn't completely satisfied..so I found this recipe.  So, if you are looking for healthy muffins, do NOT make this recipe.  I am not sure how unhealthy they are, but they are definately more than 150 calories. :)

Some things you just gotta splurge on, and these muffins are one of those things! BELIEVE ME.

Moving on...

OH MY GOODNESS...these muffins are the best things I've ever eaten..well maybe not really, but it darn well comes close.

In celebration of fall, I wanted to make something out of the pumpkin I've had sitting in my pantry.  For some reason when I see it at the store, I have this horrible feeling that someone is going to buy it ALL and not leave any for me. Last year in Boone there was a Pumpkin stealer and everytime I would go, the shelf would be empty (How dare them!!)  Or, It could have been because of the nation-wide pumpkin shortage..

ANYWAY... buy three or so cans each time I go.  Sad, isn't it?

Take a look at these beauties:





I just googled the recipe and it is taken from here.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg*
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Streusel Topping:
1 1/4 cup oats
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and combined.
4. Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are combined.
5. For the brown sugar cinnamon filling: in a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
6. For the streusel topping: in a small bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix in the butter with your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
7. Fill muffin cups half way full with the pumpkin batter. Sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon filling over each half filled muffin cup. Fill the muffins cups with the remaining batter. Top each muffin with streusel topping.
8. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and cool on a wire rack. Remove muffins from tins and enjoy.

*My personal opinion, I think they had a teeny too much nutmeg in them so next time I make these, I will add a little less.  I also put a little more pumpkin than what it called for, because I love pumpkin..hehe

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. They look and sound wonderful! Tooo wonderful to make unless I want to add additional 35 lbs to my already pumpkin shaped body! lol I will let you make me some sometime--and just send me one.

    I can't trust myself when baking!

    btw, how many did you make and how many did you eat?!

    And I agree on the pumpkin filling, I buy 3 a time too! I'm so worried it will be gone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust such will be available towards the end of November? I will bike ride long if necessary to offset the calories.

    ReplyDelete