30 March 2011

Letters of Love.

It has been storming like crazy here in North Carolina.  Our poor dog, Penny, hates storms and when I woke up this morning, she was hiding underneath the drying rack in our laundry room.  Poor thing!!!

I finally got around to taking photos of my sewing machine table re-do, and I am pleased with the way it turned out!  Wanna take a peek?  Here you go!

So, what is all that covering the sides and top of it, you ask?  Well..let me share a lil story:

Hubby and I dated LONG distance (1093 miles apart) for 2 years before I transferred to Appalachian.  I was at college at Texas A&M (whoop!)  and he was at Appalachian State in NC.  We saw each other around 4 times A YEAR.  Yeah. talk about TOUGH.  There were times when I would cry because I missed him so much.  Seeing each other for a couple days every 3 months is no fun.  I don't see how military wives do it.

So, during our time apart, we would write letters to each other.  It was all we had since we couldn't be together.  I remember staying up so late to finish up a letter and I also remember the WONDERFUL feeling I would get when a letter from Seth would arrive in the mail.  Man, I loved that moment.

The other day when I found the HUGE box of letters that I kept from him, I knew that I wanted to do something special with them.  They have been sitting in boxes for years and I am so happy that I now have a special place for some of them.  There are letters from both him and me and also our first plane tickets to go see each other!


 That is Seth's plane ticket to come see me before we first started dating.  We talked on the phone for four months and hadn't seen each other in six (when we met for the first time).  He then bought a ticket to TX and we spent a week together in December of 2006.

And that is my first plane ticket to meet his family is March of 2007.

Here's the low-down on how I fixed this baby up:

First go to Goodwill and find a cheap piece of furniture. This one was $20...a tiny bit more than I wanted to spend, but it was worth it.

1. Primed and painted it white.
2. Gathered and cropped the letters to fit the top and sides of the furniture.
3. Mod podged the letters on.
4. Let it dry.
5. Distressed and "aged" the legs and such.
6. Voila!

I know this will be a treasured piece in our home for a long long time and those letters have a special place in my heart.

-Kait

Linking up this project Chic on a shoestring decorating , Finding Fabulous , Fingerprints on the fridge and Remodelaholic and Transformation Thursday.

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! Poor Penny, I hope the sun shines soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea...what a special transformation...giving a plain piece of furniture tons of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cool!!! LOVE it!!!! Love reading your blog!! I keep all that sentimental stuff too but i havent really thought beyond a scrapbook! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! My husband and I spent a year plus long distance and tried to see each other every month or so--I can't imagine seeing him only every 3 months like you did!

    So glad we are with our sweethearts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how you used those letters!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a neat way to display some family history. Did you photocopy the letters or anything to preserve them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to remember the love you have for each other! I think this is a really sweet and very meaningful project! Great job
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful piece of furniture to have in your home! I think it's lovely that you have these letters out where they can be seen, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Words cannot describe how much I love this! What a great idea and an amazing thing to do with the letters.

    ReplyDelete