01 March 2011

some things.

So...it's time to let you know a few things.  Things that have been bothering me for a few days and I contemplated whether to even share it, but realized that I need to. In order for you to understand where I'm coming from, why I blog...things of that nature.

I started this blog (like many of us here in Bloggyworld) to keep my family up to date on my new marriage and all the adventures that come with us.  You see, most of my family lives in Texas.  I wanted them to feel connected to us. 

ANYWHO

Let me first say that I am SO thankful and grateful for all of you who read this and seriously, you are a lot of the reason I do blog.  BUT I think somewhere along the way, my focus has become muddled (is that a word?)  and I've lost sight of why I love blogging. 

I recently found myself thinking "Oh no! If I don't post something crafty or creative, no one is going to read this" or "If I talk to much about personal matters, that's going to turn people off."  I was constantly in this worried state of mind and let me be completely honest here...I was DYING to get more followers.  You see, I saw these big craft blogs with FIVE THOUSAND plus readers and thought "I want to be like that!" 

However in my heart, I did not.  
There is nothing wrong about those blogs 
who do have tons of followers but I found myself idolizing them
.  Sheesh, that was hard for me to admit. 

But it's true.  I thought about how I could gain followers all day.
  I would sit at the computer and read blog after blog
trying to figure out what it was that made them so "successful."

When I was a freshman in college (at Texas A&M...WHOOP! )
I saw Ross King  in concert and he sang a song titled "Clear the Stage."  
That song changed how I saw life.  Here are the lyrics that stuck with me most:

Anything I put before my God is an idol.
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol.
Anything I can't stop thinking of is an idol.
Anything that I give all my love is an idol.
We must not worship something that's not even worth it.
Clear the stage and make some space
for the One who deserves it.
 
Yeah. 
 That' what I was making this blog into. 
I was thinking more about it than I was
thinking about God. 
 
And I'm glad He's reminded me to quit thinking like that. 
 
The reason I blog is because I love sharing with you guys
my life, 
my crafts,
my home,
my thoughts. 
So what if I don't have 10,000 followers? 
So what if I don't always post a craft every single day 
or a recipe that tastes like heaven.
I blog because I love it. 
and I don't feel pressured to become famous or awesome.
Because this is me.  and this is my family. 
And if you are not interested in that, I am sorry. 
 
If you are wondering though, 
I am still going to be posting about crafts, recipes,
home decor, thrifting...all those things I love.
But I now have a clean mind and unpressured
heart while doing it. 
Thank Goodness.
That felt so good to get off my chest.
And I wan't yall to know that all the previous
posts are still "who I am". 
I didn't embellish or pretty up anything 
that made me seem fake or what have you.
 
But from now on, I'm going to be completely honest
and real with you. 
I'm no longer going to sugar coat things in order to
get followers or fame.  
This is who I am.  and I love it now.
On a side note: If you'd like to enter my giveaway
feel free to do so! 
 
Going along with the content of this post, 
 I've decided that you don't have to be a follower of my blog. 
I want to give this to y'all
because I am so glad you like what I post. 
Even if this is the first time you've seen my 
blog, feel free to go enter! 
Also, for those of you who want an EXTRA way to enter,
just leave a comment on the 
giveaway post that says where your dream vacation would be! :) 
(Cause I just wanna be nosy!)
My dream vacay is a week in the British Virgin Islands.
Well guys..I just got done eating some DELISH meatloaf. 
And I'll be
sharing the recipe soon. 
This is only the 2nd time I've EVER eaten meatloaf. 
and i liked it! Whoo hoo!!!
The week is almost halfway over-yipeeeeeee!!!!
 

6 comments:

  1. I needed to see this!!!!! I am this way with shopping..I know that is HORRIBLE.. but it is all I think of. Sad, but true!!!! Thanks for this blog!! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand where you are coming from. I find myself comparing my blog to others all the time. I am trying to find the balance between liking/emulating someone else, and idolizing someone else.

    On another note, I didn't have meatloaf until I was about 18, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand where you're coming from! Thanks for being so honest!! I also loved watching your wedding video--so sweet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I feel the same way often and I try to remind myself why I started my blog in the first place. It's hard to not compare yourself or your blog to others, isn't it? But you're right- it's important to be true to yourself and post what you want to without worrying about whether people like it or how many followers you can get. Thanks for sharing- it's so nice to see others feel the same way from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! What a great post, thank you for writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I'm your newest follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete